Wednesday 7 March 2012

Y U no better suit my schedule??

My current situation is rather ironic. In a sense, I've been complaining that I've never been getting any job interviews/assessments in the past few months. All I've gotten were just the generic 'we have screened through many applications though we think you are highly capable for the role, regretfully we do not have the capacity blablablabla'. Yea well this time...... it's quite the opposite. 

Remember the missed call I mentioned in the previous post? Well I wrote in to pwc and they got back to me almost immediately informing me that they would be contacting me once more. Thing is..... THEY DIDN'T SPECIFY A TIME!!! I was in the labs the next day discussing about our marketing coursework. I was just about to leave the lvl  5 labs for another meeting on lvl 3 and then ...... it happened. It was the same Msian number. I wasn't even out of the labs yet! 'Greeting' said the other end of the line. She introduced herself and said if I could take a few minutes to talk to them. It started with Ms. Teh informing me about their visit to the UK via the UKEC careers fair. Cool cool its general news at this time of the year. So the conversation continued unlike my other phone interviews, she asked questions like:

- have u applied for jobs in the UK?
-Why not stay back and work in the UK?  (answer is pretty obvious........ )

And there came the final blow: 'Are you free to attend a case study interview tomorrow morning at our London office?' ZOMG big NO. Why? Well I have a phone interview scheduled for that morning with Accenture. The other reason being it's a freakin case interview! Imma not prepared at all! A pretty good analogy of this would be akin to asking a primary school student to answer an A-Levels exam paper. 

So I was scheduled for the next slot which takes place on the following Monday 12th March. That gives me a couple of days to get my act together. Not hoping for a miracle but it's definitely better than marching in unprepared. 

Well I had my phone interview with Accenture this morning. They actually called me up at 7am UK time to schedule the interview. 7am! Seriously? Don't you know students are nocturnal creatures? Even 8am sounds much more reasonable a time to compared to 7am. The interview went pretty well. I applied for an analyst position under management consultancy but I was interviewed for a role in technology consulting. Wtf? The interviewer, Ms. Lee kept emphasizing that they do not have vacancies for management at the moment and that my skills would complement tech consultancy much better. Like duh....... I'm an engineer. 

Ultimate question of the phone interview: "What's your expected salary"

Bear in mind that this is like the first phase of the interview process and she talks about salary? WOW. I played a little safe noting a realistic figure (approx RM3500) but mentioned that I was looking for experience and that salary is highly negotiable in my opinion. 

So that's that. Oh and one annoying thing I've noticed:

It's near end of term, there is a coursework submission on Monday next week, multiple scenarios of :

'That awkward moment when someone who doesn't speak to you a lot suddenly calls u up to ask for your copy of the coursework so that he could LEARN how to do it himself'

Nice try.

Oh and did I mention I am being reconsidered for the Celcom-Axiata eXperiental Programme (previously called the young talent programme). I lolled. Interview here I come!

Until next time ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment