Tuesday 13 March 2012

Case Interview eh?

Case interview FTW!!!!!! Well no.... it's Case interview WTF!!!!!!!!!

Feeling all spruced up in the morning I woke up at 6.30am and made my way to Embankment at 8.20am. So I was actually about 15-20 mins earlier than my expected commencement time which was at 9.15am. 

The PWC office was rather discretely located but cool looking nonetheless. Arrived and checked-in at the reception. No they didn't even offered me a seat. It was ----> print name tag ---> off to the conference room. Fak I didn't even manage to take a piss but eventually I did anyways. Haha. I was put into this tiny conference room which was fit for probably only 4 people. Really nice concept and equipped with its own hot beverage dispenser. lolz. 

So the receptionist attending to me handed me a pile of notes. It was the case which I had to work on and it was FREAKIN 25 pages! lol. I jumped right in considering that I only had 40 minutes to go over the content and formulate a solution. 

The case was about a water filtering/distillation system services company which suffered from reduced market share and annual turnover. So obviously from the material it illustrated some customer relation problems which gave rise to their initial downfalls. So the COO came up with a Super Customer Programme which was tailored to address this problem. Well it didn't work out very well and that was essentially what I had to do. To find out what went wrong and how it can be fixed. 

The case was pretty dense and I had some trouble deciphering all the information. Well it was my 2nd even case which I have attempted period so it pretty much equates to a big LACK OF EXPERIENCE. Well I tried my best at the time and I used VC's framework to work through the case. It helped in a way that I had a direction rather than diving in blindly and randomly suggesting solutions which didn't solve any of their problems. Am I right?

Well 40 minutes passed as if it was only 20 minutes. I was sent to the waiting lounge and I quickly collected my thoughts and prepared my material to be properly presented. The interview was conducted over a video conference with Malaysia by these 2 consultants in Malaysia. So they mentioned it would be a role play and that they were about to enter a board meeting in 20 minutes. My task is to brief them about the problems and suggest them my solutions. Well... I went down the typical route in explaining EVERYTHING based on my framework. Well.... they stopped me and told me to cut to the chase. lolz. Probably my fault then. But so I went on telling them the problems and why these problems arose. Then I gave some suggestions but they didn't seem to pleased with my responses well.... namely from one simple phrase which they questioned me: "Is there anything else?". LOlz fak. That's like code for "dude...... tell us something we don't know". 

Dammit. No matter. I guess that case didn't go too well. Oh well at least it's good experience for my next case and I'll just pray for the best la. Haha.

Just got put through to the next round of assessments for Accenture and Maxis. Time to get the gears moving.

Oh and my blardy marketing group.... had to point at the Msian guy to present on behalf of the group in the coming group presentation. Zzzz..... I guess its good experience nonetheless. Just hope I do a decent job.

Until next time ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment