Monday 20 February 2012

A time to prioritize

Just another one of those days in uni. This time I had a new lecture: Marketing. Yea most people think of marketing as a form of advertising.

"Hi. Oh you're working in the marketing department? Could you show me your latest advertisement?"

Not exactly. There is more to it than just advertising. I'm thinking more along the lines of market segmentation and business planning. Really looking forward to the rest of the course.

I met A on the way back after the lecture. A returned to the UK after graduation to secure a job but things are not working out as planned. He's a pretty bring fella. Speaks well and more than presentable. Unfortunately the UK economy isn't as good as how it was a few years back. Most people have the mentality that you should work in the UK since you're from a UK university. Here's a pretty good analogy:

"You've just purchased a Ferrari. Why are you not driving it in Italy?"

I just lolz myself. Well yea the $ is pretty good in the UK considering the strength of the GBP. But that's not the case for work opportunities and even more adverse for centralized cities such as London. Job cuts have been conducted quite heavily affecting many of the corporate firms especially. And there came the question on why a firm would pay to hire foreigner if there is a readily available local graduate? I guess this applies to many other countries but the UK is really seeing some major downfalls due to this whole scenario. Unemployment is starting to become a major headline in some of the local newspaper as a matter a fact.

So I wouldn't find A's situation entirely surprising. I've tried applying to a couple of UK firms as well but as expected none of them got through even to the 1st round. But A's a readily employable individual since he's already graduated! Imperial College 2.1 and no one's offering him an opportunity. Kinda depicts how bad things really are over here.

Well enough about the UK employment crisis. Looking at projects, my FYP seems to be going quite well (at least in my opinion) all thanks to Dr. Herrero. I've made a couple of really minor and humiliating mistakes in some of my codes and he's corrected them for me. Talk about babysitting but I'm glad he's willing to help me out knowing that coding is not one of my strengths. Oh and I've also discovered that Dr. Herrero lives just about a street away from where I live. lolz

Oh and I've got a reply from UKEC with regards to my CV re-submission. It was approved so I sent in an updated CV earlier in the evening. Fingers crossed. Also, Sunway dropped a message in the morning inquiring if I could make my way to the UKEC fair and look them up for my management trainee applications. Good stuff :)

Another day closer, another 5 weeks and there goes Spring term. Looking forward to the UKEC career fair in April.

Until next time ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment