Monday 6 February 2012

A little extra effort for that little extra step

For some reason I've never been able to fall asleep before 2.30am especially after the 2nd half of January 2012. Perhaps its what Dad calls melatonin acting against me. Especially last night I started to feel really groggy around 9pm but yea I couldn't let my day end so early. I kept myself awake by surfing and playing a game or 2 on my mobile. And I was practically wide awake thereafter!!!! I spent my night tossing and turning on my bed but thoughts of the future just kept me awake throughout the night. I had to be awake a little earlier the next morning for a meeting with my FYP supervisor so sleep was pretty crucial at the time.

So my meeting was scheduled at 11am so I had my alarm wake me up twice (2 alarms set at 2 different times). BUT no it none of them went off. I glanced at the clock and it was 10.10am!!!! Zomg..... that's like 2 hours past my alarm! So I rushed my way to uni and thankfully I arrived just 5 minutes after 11am (Yes I have long toilet sessions... shhhhh ). 

The meeting was held to introduce me to phase 3 of the project. Phase 3 involved the integration of a 2 compartment stomach absorption model which is a proper food absorption model as proven by Dallaman and gang. The model involved a series of differential equations which made the model look pretty complex. It took quite awhile for me to digest the material (at a glance to say the least) but Dr. Herrero was in the midst of 3 datelines and he has a big conference in Barcelona this Wednesday so I didn't want to keep him away from his work for too long. So I tried clarifying as much material as I could and assured him that I would look up the Dallaman report for a more concrete understanding of the model. 

So there I was making my way to the EEE department to meet with William. We were supposed to go over another piece of coursework together so I sent him a text to confirm if he was around/making his way here soon. Well he said he would turn up at 2.30pm. But William was not very known as a very punctual person (not always but it does occur). He turned up just after 3pm which wasn't that bad I suppose. Oh he passed his grading btw :P

That's practically my usual start of the week. A large dose of FYP which I managed to code most of during my wait for William in uni and a relatively quick start on a piece of coursework which is due in a weeks time. 

Later that day I received an email requiring EEE students to re-confirm our academic course selection. The email included a link which I assumed to be a link to the course selection website. Well it wasn't so this time. It led to another link which led me to a list of students all their selection of courses listed. I noticed that I am the 1 AND ONLY student taking 5 management subjects. The norm was 3 but quite a number had 4 in their list. The difference was that the students with 4 management subjects are registered for the minimum number of subjects (7 subjects). In a sense that would put us all on a similar level considering the options chosen. Difference was that I decided to register for the maximum number of courses (8 subjects) with Marketing being my extra module. It was quite a relief to know that quite a majority are also taking the minimum number of technical options (3 subjects :P ).

Why not just opt for the minimum number of subjects? My course tutor suggested the same as well. I have always made it rule to never settle for the least. It applies to almost all of my endeavors. "Put in that extra effort" , "Go that extra mile further!" , "Suffer for a short term and benefit in the long term". These are examples of what I tell myself when I am given a choice. 

In my 3rd year of study, I personally felt that I pushed my efforts a little over the limit in terms of course selection. Sure it may not be a wise thing to do but I did it anyway so no point crying over spilled milk. I took the maximum number of subjects in my 3rd year (9 subjects instead of the regular 8). The trouble was that the extra subject I took (Control engineering) was conducted over the Autumn term 2011. Coupled with the other courses I had that term, I was swimming in a neck-high load of coursework. 6 subjects to be precise. That meant 6 lecture courses to follow and more than 6 pieces of coursework to complete all within 1 term!!!!!! That term was really he11 for me. It felt as if I didn't have much time to even take a breather. Adding to that, I was busy sending out internship applications. Yea the year was pretty tough and there was a lot to handle. And I just can't stand it when people say they have it rougher than my course when they only have 2 or 3 courses in a term. That's half of what I have done in a term!!!! Half!! 
Unfortunately Control Engineering didn't turn out to be a subject which I followed very well. Prof. Astolfi seemed to be a pretty great academic but I just couldn't understand what he taught!!! The notes was pretty hard to understand too. To make things worse, he recommended a course text which was written in a foreign language!!! FML......... It was a past-exam paper learning experience which didn't turn out too well. But in the end, my calculations proved that taking the course (though not scoring beautifully) did indeed add a little extra to my overall mark!!!! So not all was lost and I gained a little in the process!!!!

So that was my lesson. Think nothing about doing less as effort never goes to waste. Knowing that I have attempted more than 9 subjects a year over the course of my degree, I stepped up my game again and enrolled for Marketing which I feel would be a great learning experience and would really sharpen my analytic skill + thought process.

May my inner dragon soar in it's element this 2012!

Until next time ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment