Sunday 29 January 2012

To get that one-of-a-kind cup

So just a couple of minutes ago I had to write an awkward letter to accompany one of my job applications. No its not the usual CV nor is it one of those generic cover letters. Those were a thing of the past and I've already written quite a number of those. This one was different: it was a "pour my heart out and here's what happened" type of letters. Why??? Simply because....... my academic results were pretty... SHIET. Well relative compared to my peers it IS pretty bad. Here's the story:

Why go to a university? Why would you need a degree? Pretty simple. If you'd watch the video below I'll try to generalize a few of my thoughts:



Well the messages in the video does really conceptualize things the way they're supposed to be. Honestly I'm very touched by the messages of the video. I mean..... the vast majority of people toil their ways through work and careers just to put a loaf of bread on the table. It soon nurtures a desire to improve one's position (the quality of the cup) that we forget the less intangible aspects of life; namely life itself and perhaps our loved ones.

So yes back to the main picture and how the video relates to the whole trail which is to follow. It is a known fact that well.... living standards follow a constantly inclined trend. Inflation portrays this though in a cynical way, people want more money things get expensive people want even more money and so on. Keep up or lose out. Today, it is a race to distinguish and be distinguished. In this stage of my life, it is the concern to start a career and gain employment. EVERYONE or at least the vast majority of the modern urban community has to academically equipped with a degree of some sort. A qualification for a job hunt which no longer recognizes tacit knowledge. Employers for one, simply recognizes the academic qualifications as a requisite towards gaining employment. No degree? Then no eye see.

Cruel as it may sound, but it is perhaps a very rational fact on how firms base their employments nowadays. I guess its more prevalent for us born during the baby boom era (late 1900's I'd presume).

Dragon=luck=good life blablabla.
This meant more babies= more graduates graduating in the same time frame =lesser chances of landing a job

So its no wonder that HRM (Human Resource Management) have to come up with efficient yet shallow means of sampling the insanely large number of job applicants. So there was a need to have the 'Prettiest brightest most precious looking ~ replace with other words describing uniqueness and value ~ CUP. Surely every cup of coffee would have coffee in them but until they have the chance to decide which to taste, HRM would need to identify the potential one which would yield the most exquisite taste!!!

So yes..... the race to get the best looking cup. No I've not gotten that cup and no I don't know if the coffee in my cup would live up to its expectations. The agony of self fulfillment and expectation management.

Until next time ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment